Monday, October 20, 2008

Supersize Me Response

After watching "Supersize Me" I felt slightly disgusted about our fast food industry. Once I started researching more though, I realized that the feeling of disgust wasn’t really with the food industry, but rather, was with the people in the United States of America (USA).
While the fast food may be very unhealthy, (specifically things like the Baconator, the Big Mac and the Quarter Pounder) it is the choice of the consumer to eat the food. They could have gone to McDonalds and gotten a salad instead of the Big Mac, but instead they ordered the unhealthy item. The amount of obese people in America was also very surprising to me and disgusted me. The fact that so many people disregard their health was surprising and made me feel ashamed about the nation. What made me feel even worse was that some people were attempting to pass the blame off on the fast food industry. This attempt to pass the buck amazed me because, only here could people actually consider something like that valid. It is also only considered valid because it is against a “big bad corporation.” That corporation was just filling the need some people had, it’s the person’s fault they couldn’t exercise enough self-restraint to not eat the burger. If it is supposedly McDonalds that makes people fat and not people themselves then do guns kill people? Do pencils misspell words? No, the people do, it is the people who can’t show enough self- restraint then attempt to blame someone or something else. In a way, I find it degrading to humans that they would resort to such low acts. Saying, “Oh, but it’s the food or corporations fault that I’m fat” is not only stupid, it is degrading to that person. The idea that the corporation or food has more control over your actions than you yourself do is making yourself out to be less of a person than you truly are.
Not only that, but the corporations have nutrition facts, whether at the restaurants or online. If you are eating there and are concerned about your weight, it is your responsibility to see if what you are eating is bad. It is not as if the corporations are hiding the nutrition facts from you in a global plot to make all Americans obese. The other thing that irritated me in the movie was how he just ate unhealthy food like the Big Macs. This is again showing what customers with no self-restraint would do, which again, is no fault of McDonalds. It is not their job to sit next to you and rap your knuckles with a ruler every time you try to order a Big Mac. The final thing that I disliked about the movie was the vegan girl friend in the back continually talking about the pros of being a vegan. Though this really has nothing to do with the message of the movie it just really annoyed me. I wanted to tell her to shut up, I choose to eat meat because it tastes good and is good for me. If she wants to be a vegan that’s fine but shut up and stop trying to convince me otherwise.
Overall, it was a good movie to watch, but I believe that it’s message was horrible and the conclusion was really skewed.

1 comment:

Wes said...

What do you mean by "its (the film's) message was horrible?" Wasn't the whole point of the movie to get people to think about personal responsibility vs corporate responsibility? And if corporations, in this case McDonald's, aren't truthful, then shouldn't they be held accountable?