Monday, May 17, 2010

Final Book Blog

Though I disagreed with his idea that there is no idea worth dying for, I still found the book to be very good and one of the better books we had read this year. Throughout the piece I had felt a sense of pity for him that would surge at certain points such as when he was constantly sedated to calm him down or when he was denied his ability to leave the hospital. I agreed with his final idea that if the entity pretending to protect your freedoms is actually distracting them then you should rebel but I also found it very curious because it forced a further analysis of any conflict the nation has entered in. You are forced to look and see if the fight was really necessary or if the nation had somehow taken away some of your rights in the name of that conflict. Though his initial idea was one that i disagreed with, in the end his conclusion was one that is hard to refute.

1 comment:

Jessica Ledyard said...

Seth,

I like how you took the position of qualifying Trumbo's claim about war. You did a nice job saying that it was interesting because it made you think about all other conflicts America has been involved in. Also, I like how you ended by saying his idea was hard to disagree with because of how he constructed his argument to bring out sympathy from the reader.

Good blog!