Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Non-Academic Knowledge

Though I don't believe that I value non-academic education in the sense that I think about it and appreciate, I do believe that it comes in use and is valued in that sense. For instance, no one at school ever told me “Don’t put your hand over a hot stove and don’t lean way over boiling stuff.” That kind of information, rather, came from either common sense or from personal experience. On a more subtle and less stupid level, non-academic education can be very valuable teaching different skills such as how to work together in teams better, how to better manage time or just teaching random abilities like how to play golf better. Without non-academic education I would not know nearly as much as I do about things such as set building in tech or how to steer properly in snow and control skids. It is through outside studies and personal experiences that we come to learn these types of things, and they can sometimes be just as important as normal education is.

No comments: