Saturday, September 5, 2009

Memory

A week after this school year started I was at DePauw helping my brother move into his new dorm with some friends of ours. This mainly consisted of the parents moving things in and setting up beds and dressers while we screwed around doing nothing, sometimes going out onto the campus. In the beginning, when I walked around by myself a little, so many people started asking if I had found my dorm yet I got tired of giving the long winded response which consisted “I’m not going to DePauw, I’m still in high school, but my brother is going here,” and instead took to just saying “yes.” Eventually, while unpacking some of Phil’s things, we found a nerf side by side break action shotgun he had shown us that he had gotten from Walgreens for five dollars. This served to bring us back down to the maturity of eight year olds as we ran through the dorm grabbing the gun from each other and shooting each other, to the ire of our parents, who eventually told us to put it down. This led to us walking around the dorm pointing out all the dirty spots and speculating to why they were there or who would have to clean them (such as the “AIDs spot”- a black splotch in the bath tub that Phil was assigned to clean). Eventually our parents kicked us out and sent us over to the Union to pick up books and computer information for Ian and our friends, which managed to entertain us for awhile as we poked fun at the selection of books they had or various other entertaining things. Though it was a simple day, it was one of the most fun i’d had in awhile.

No comments: