Sunday, September 20, 2009

Pseudo-argument

A pseudo-argument is an argument, which is based on the opinions of the people involved and often means that the people are fanatically devoted to their side of the argument and unwilling to change their views based on the strengths or weaknesses of their opponents argument. This is why it is a pseudo- argument, because there is no collective inquiry or potential for intellectual growth through the debate. This seems to be what many of my arguments are whether they are with friends or with parents. The most common kind of pseudo-argument I have is with my parents and involves my curfew (both during weekdays and weekends). My parents always thought there should be a set time to be home and that I should always call to tell them where I am, whereas I believed that, as long as I had my phone with me I should be allowed to do what I want. They thought that getting home at a specific time would help develop a habit which would lead to getting homework done faster and better, and they would always know exactly where I was. I believed that it didn’t matter where I was, as long as they were able to contact me (via the cell phone) and that the time I got home didn’t matter, as long as I finished my homework. This kind of homework almost always ended with my parents winning because they could easily threaten to take away my car privileges altogether, but this kind of argument still exemplifies what a pseudo-argument is.

No comments: